Monday, January 24, 2005

starbucks, dunkin' donuts and bank of america

Of course there are starbucks in the twin cities and surrounding area's, however having a starbucks every half block is just ridiculous. Its like starbucks, dunkin' donuts, bank of america...repeat.

Since you are all at the edge of your seats waiting to hear the details of my adventure, well, I will indulge your anticipation...
Traveling went well, I had to bus partway instead of the train because it was too cold for the train to go at a decent speed, so I only had a short train experience, which was a bummer, I was really excited about the train. Anyways, I got to Chicago, Sarah picked me up, we hung out at her parent's, then took off the next day, Philly or bust! Driving went alright, except when I took over the wheel and mistakenly drove on the shoulder for like 3 miles, and some snow patches...Our first mission was Philly cheesesteak, which we accomplished at Jim's on south st. Then we hunted around for a dive bar and came upon Mako's, it was apparently lady's night cause we got free drinks, so the night was already about as good as it gets, free beer and cheesesteak. The next day we shopped, and we were hoping to find some hip hop, so we tried to go to an open mic, but because of the one inch of snow people were staying in and places were shut down. We ended up Salsa dancing, which I've done a fair amount, but I was either really rusty or they do something different in Philly cause I sucked, so we moved on to our second attempt for some hip hop, but everything was pretty slow, but we did see where the real worlders went. Before we left the next morning we checked out the liberty bell, and compared the cheesesteaks at Pat's and Geno's...this is not recommended before getting in a car for five hours, which does not aid in digestion of said cheesesteaks. We arrived in Amherst, saw Emily Dickensen's house, I lusted after the barista and we got some ice cream. Then Sarah dropped me off in Boston, I wandered in the nasty cold, found a great little bar called "the littlest bar", made a furry friend or two, got a good beer buzz going to handle the chill and was on my way. All in all a very nice time, although I was a little worn out when I got home.

this weekend my church had a colloquium, and my lovely and talented friend/roomate Olivia participated in. I was so impressed, it was personal, intellegent and relevant. Yay Olivia!

Well, back to the pile of work that has built up!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom and I had a discussion about that once --- I read somewhere that the areas that look like the rest of the US are called "Generica" hence the repeating pattern of Starbucks, Bank of America, Dunkin' Donuts. However, in Columbus it's more like AnyBank, Starbucks, shopping plaza, Satrbucks, AnyBank, McDonald's, etc. We are creatures if habit I guess...

BTW - I love Carolyn Hax. I get her column her on Wednesdays and it cracks me up some of the things she writes. Way better than Dear Abby any day.