Monday, March 28, 2005

home

I spent the whole weekend at "home", I haven't spent that much time at home in several months I think. I caught up with Brenda and Joe, friends from high school that got married and had kids, and continue to live in Owatonna. Joe stayed at home with the kids while Brenda and I grabbed a bite. Other than Jenny P., Brenda was my closest friend back then, she is a truly good person and friend. It is always strange to hear about old friends and acquantainces, having kids, who they married, most of them haven't left Owatonna. I had kinda thought about looking up the guy I had an obsessive crush on for like five years, but I didn't, I just hoped to run into him. Sat. I went to Perkins, my feeble replacement for a coffee shop since they don't have such things in Owatonna. Perkins was also the place to hang out as a youth, late at night when I worked at McDonald's, after we closed the restaurant, where my infatuation with Dan M. blossomed. I remember when we stole a bunch of hashbrown wrappers when they had disney trivia and got in trouble cause the Perkin's waitress called our managers. Ryan (Jenny's ex-husband) took all the blame for it, what a guy. Oh, and I just remembered Nick Higgens, he was seriously attractive. Growing up I was Jenny's sidekick, she was the cute outgoing one and I was her quiet best friend that didn't get in the way of her getting all the attention. I love Jenny P. to pieces, but I'm glad we went our separate ways for college, we had considered going to the same school and even being roomates, I can only imagine how that would have stunted my personal growth. I remember Jenny getting so jealous of Brenda (she's gorgeous) and me being caught in the middle when they'd fight as if it was Brenda's fault that she's pretty and fun to be around. In high school I learned to accept being chubby and homely and to endure being passed over by most guys for my more attractive friends, something I still assume to this day even though I'm no longer chubby, and men do find me attractive (although usually weird one's). If you think I'm shy now, you should have known me back then, I strived to be invisible. Except when I was chosen to do the "orchestra drawing" and got to stand up on stage and show people I can draw, that was fun.

Anyways, some random little memories about growing up in the fine city of Owatonna. I dropped off my ex roomates things (someone I also went to HS with, who moved back home with her parents). It was pretty uneventful, I went, dropped the stuff off, we wished eachother well and I left. The rest of the day was spent vegetating at my mom's, getting annoyed at my brother for hogging the remote and for having nasty dredlocks. He was popping zinc lozenges like no one's business, one right after another, I don't know if you can ingest a dangerous amount of zinc, but if you can I'm sure he did. He also said listening to underground hip hop is trendy, who fucking cares, anything becomes trendy at some point, if you like it, listen to it for F sake. I could go off on that but I will restrain myself. I also got jealous of Jenni somehow getting to go to see Elvis Costello, and loved my mom's cat. There was also a decent pair of jeans that I snatched for myself laying on the bedroom floor.

Easter sunday consisted of awkward attempts at communicating with my father, my grandpa asking me if I had a boyfriend, me saying no, and he insisting that I must be kidding. Nope, I'm afraid I don't. At least I didn't have to convince him that I do in fact eat plenty this holiday. He was also appalled that I didn't go to church that morning, I didn't even attempt to explain to him that I go to church in the evening. Barb, my stepmom, is remodeling my old room in a sheep theme, I like Barb a lot, but the country decor around there is overwhelming to say the least.

No comments: