Friday, March 25, 2005

more of my work

These are some paintings I did in school for a series on children, urban and suburban. It was kind of a study on differences and similarities btwn children in those different environments. I don't know how much I learned about the subject since it wasn't extensive, but I did have some interesting experiences and something I would like to explore further in the future. One painter that I admire is Alice Neel, she does mostly portrait painting which is what I like to do as well. I get pleased and excited when someone sits for me and I come out with a painting that first looks like them and hopefully says something about their inner workings.

I had an eye exam yesterday (not for the hydrochloric acid scare, my eye feels fine now), but to get a new pair of glasses. It was the coolest thing because I went to this tiny office downtown next to a psychic, and the doctor had to be in his sixties, who was very kind. The equipment he had looked like it was as old as he was, there wasn't the little machine you look into or one of those flipping lenses things, he had a big box with a bunch of lenses in columns that he would drop into the slot in whatever that thing you look through is called. I imagine he just was comfortable with his way of doing things and had no need for the new technology, and he was pretty efficient and definately knowledgeable. I loved it cause I love that old shit, my mom has always been very into antiques, she will find the weirdest little knick knacks and just be creative with them, which I appreciate much more now than when I was a kid. Not to mention my love for the Village of Yesteryear located in my lovely hometown of Owatonna, MN. Its a bunch of old buildings set up like they would have been back in the late 1800's or so I think?. Always necessary to explore during the county fair. I like imagining life back in the olden days, so I felt kind like I got to step back in time a little yesterday. And he was really excited to tell me about the dog that hangs out there chewing on his bone.

No comments: